Born in Harrogate, Yorkshire. Was a keen writer as a child and English was a favourite subject at school. She also went on to study it at University. She has had many different jobs but is now an extremely prolific and best-selling children's author.
Perhaps best known for her Home Farm Twins series which was made into a children's TV show. As well as this animal-based series and two horse related series, she has written fantasy novels, younger children's adventures and books aimed at teenagers, and also some adult novels. I have included the pony themed books from her general animal series here, as well as her specifically equine series.
Jenny Oldfield writes under the pseudonyms of Tina Nolan, and possibly also Donna King, Jasmine Oliver and Kate Pennington, and is attributed as one of the ghost writers for the Animal Ark series created by Lucy Daniels
I am not sure what has happened to the author's website. At the time of this update it seems to have disappeared so I have removed the links. I will try and find out what the problem is and update this page when I have done so. In the meantime there is a bibilography of her works with cover pics on the Fantastic Fiction website.
My Magical Pony Series: Series set at a slightly younger reading level than the Half Moon Ranch books. A fantasy series in which Krista has a very special pony called Shining Star - special because he can fly!
ALL PUBLISHED BY HODDER PAPERBACKS
1) SHINING STAR SUMMARY: Krista has a special magical pony who can fly and together they help other ponies and people in trouble.
2) SILVER MIST SUMMARY: Krista asks Shining Star to help rescue some stolen moorland ponies.
3) BRIGHT EYES SUMMARY: Krista and Shining Star help a homesick young girl.
4) MIDNIGHT SNOW SUMMARY: Can Krista and Shining Star fly to the rescue of a family cut off in the snow?
5) SUMMER SHADOWS SUMMARY: Krista determines to rescue a neglected pony.
6) DAWN LIGHT SUMMARY: When Krista's dad loses his job she realises she will have to move to a new home away from the stables!
7) PALE MOON SUMMARY: Krista helps Shining Star rescue his sister Pale Moon.
8) SUMMERTIME BLUES SUMMARY: An irritating new girl at the stables puts the secret of Shining Star in danger of being exposed!
9) NORTH STAR SUMMARY: Shining Star is stolen along with some thoroughbreds. Krista must call on his brother and sister to help him.
10) SEA HAZE SUMMARY: Krista looks after a dog for a friend but the animal disappears!
11) FALLING LEAVES SUMMARY: The stable owner has an accident and is taken to hospital - will the stables have to close down?
12) RED SKIES SUMMARY: Krista falls off a pony whilst out riding and he disappears.
13) STARLIGHT DREAM SUMMARY: Krista longs to enter the upcoming showjumping event.
14) SECRET WHISPERS SUMMARY: A neglected pony arrives at the stables and Krista uses her newly found horse whispering skills to help her.
15) NEW BEGINNINGS SUMMARY: Krista is hoping that an open day will prevent the stables having to close, but on the day disaster strikes….
Collectors info: All paperbacks. At time of writing, some are still in print and they can also be picked up cheaply second hand on internet auction sites.
Dreamseeker Series: Unusual fantasy series with a part horse element. Young Sioux Indian Four Winds sets out on a quest to save his tribe from extinction. He is aided by the mysterious spirit horse, Silver Cloud.
1) SILVER CLOUD (HODDER PB 2002) Reprinted in paperback by Hodder in 2011 SUMMARY: Four Winds sets out on a quest to save his tribe, helped by the horse Silver Cloud and the mysterious ghost horse spirit.
2) IRON EYES (HODDER PB 2002) Reprinted in paperback by Hodder in 2011 SUMMARY: Four Winds and his horse must face a fierce wolf spirit as they continue their quest.
3) BAD HEART (HODDER PB 2003) Reprinted in paperback by Hodder in 2011 SUMMARY: Four Winds must face a battle with the Comanche tribe and a confrontation with the terrifying bear spirit before his quest is complete.
DREAMSEEKER TRILOGY (HODDER 2005) SUMMARY: Omnibus containing all 3 books in the series.
Collectors info: All paperback editions. Recently reprinted and in print at the time of writing. Second hand copies are easy to find also.
Black Pearl Ponies Series: Another American ranch set series with a heroine whose name begins with 'K'! Standard pony adventure fare for the younger pony mad reader.
1) RED STAR (HODDER PB 2011) SUMMARY: Red Star, Keira's beloved strawberry roan pony, goes missing.
2) WILDFLOWER (HODDER PB 2011) SUMMARY: Wildflower bolts from the ring at the rodeo.
3) MISS MOLLY (HODDER PB 2011) SUMMARY: What has gone wrong with Miss Molly's training?
4) STORM CLOUD (HODDER PB 2011) SUMMARY: Keira's uncle buys a washed-up and cantankerous old rodeo horse. If Keira can retrain him and cure his bad habits well enough to find a good home for him she can keep the profits!
5) SNICKERS (HODDER PB 2011) SUMMARY: Snickers is a lovely pony owned by an unpleasant spoilt boy. But even worse, Keira realises he is mistreating his pony!
5) GHOST HORSE (HODDER PB 2011) SUMMARY: Who are the mysterious horse and rider Keira spots in the snow?
Collectors info: All paperback originals. All in print at the moment and available in the UK. Used copies are available in the USA, as are e-book editions, but new print copies do not appear to be available there at the time of writing. The books should also be available from most UK libraries.
Pony Books in the Home Farm Twins Series: The Home Farm Twins series is a general animal series about animal-loving twins Helen and Hannah. Some of the stories are about ponies or donkeys and these I have listed below. The series was made into a popular TV show.
SOLO THE HOMELESS (HODDER PB 1996) ILLUSTRATED BY KATE ALDOUS Reprinted in paperback by Hodder as a TV tie-in edition. SUMMARY: Solo the pony has been outgrown by his owner and the twins try to save up enough money to buy him for themselves.
STEVIE THE REBEL (HODDER PB 1997) ILLUSTRATED BY KATE ALDOUS Reprinted in paperback by Hodder as a TV tie-in edition. SUMMARY: Stevie is a donkey awaiting homing in an animal sanctuary. But Stevie is bad tempered and the twins fear that no-one will home him unless they can come up with a plan to gentle him.
SULTAN THE PATIENT (HODDER PB 1999) ILLUSTRATED BY KATE ALDOUS Reprinted in paperback by Hodder as a TV tie-in edition. SUMMARY: The twin's friend Laura's horse falls ill whilst she is away at school. When she finds out, Laura runs away from school.
SCOTT THE BRAVEHEART (HODDER PB 1999) ILLUSTRATED BY KATE ALDOUS Reprinted in paperback by Hodder as a TV tie-in edition. SUMMARY: Whilst on holiday the twins find an abandoned Shetland and her foal.
STAR THE SURPRISE SUMMARY: The twins are entrusted to the care of a thoroughbred foal whilst its owners are away. But then the foal goes missing...
Collectors info: All paperbacks. Have been reprinted in a newer version to tie in with the TV series. All easy to find in the UK and low cost.
Pony Books in the Animal Alert Series: Some of the stories in this general animal series about a vet's daughter called Carly are about ponies or donkeys. As the subject matter is about ill or ill-treated animals, it may not be suitable for more sensitive readers however.
QUARANTINE (HODDER PB 1997) SUMMARY: There is an epidemic at the local stables. When one of the horses is stolen Carly fears that the thieves may dump the horse or sell it for slaughter when they realise it is ill.
SKIN AND BONE (HODDER PB 1998) SUMMARY:A starving donkey has been left tethered on wasteland in the depths of winter. When it gets loose Carly and her friends must find it before its too late.
ANIMAL ALERT SPECIAL: HEATWAVE (HODDER PB 1999) SUMMARY: Carly's vet father has been called out to tend three horses who have been abandoned by their owner and left to fend for themselves through a heatwave. Carly is happy to look after them.
Collectors info: All paperbacks. All easy to find in the UK and low cost.
Short Story Collections:
KINGFISHER BOOK OF HORSE AND PONY STORIES (Edited by) Stories by various authors (KINGFISHER 2005) ILLUSTRATED BY VARIOUS ARTISTS Reprinted in paperback in 2006. SUMMARY: Book of short stories (not exceprts) edited by but also including two by the Jenny Oldfield herself. Mainly lesser known authors; apart from Ms. Oldfield, Pamela Kavanagh is probably the most well known. More about the book can be found on the British short stories web page
Collector's info: Easy to find. Still in print and can be bought new in both the UK and USA.
As Tina Nolan:
Pony Books in the Animal Rescue Series: This series, written under the pen name of Tina Nolan is about Eva and Karl, two children who live at the Animal Magic animal rescue centre, and some of the animals which are helped there. It includes two pony related stories.
MERLIN: THE HOMELESS FOAL (STRIPES PB 2007) SUMMARY: A foal is born at the centre and Eva is desperate to find a home for him near enough for her to visit.
ROSIE: THE PROBLEM PONY (STRIPES PB 2009) SUMMARY: When a neighbour has an accident and can't look after her rescued Shetland pony Rosie any longer, the little pony ends up back at the rescue centre. Eva needs to find a new perfect home for Rosie, but it doesn't prove easy.
Collectors info: Paperback editions. Easy to find in both the UK and the USA.